Search

Monday 10 December 2012

Helen Mirren Hollywood is Sexist and Misogynist

Helen Mirren 300x200 Helen Mirren Hollywood is Sexist and Misogynist
Veteran actress Helen Mirren says the American film industry is sexist and misogynist. Mirren, 67, who got recognition after her 2007 role in ‘The Queen’, said she has never been interested in starring in major blockbuster movies because of the attitudes of studio bosses, reported Showbizspy.
Asked about her sudden surge in popularity, the British actress said, “Well, that’s how it looks from the outside. My success grew slowly but constantly. I’ve been working every year since I started acting and I got many awards before I won the Oscar for The Queen.
Maybe it’s because I’ve never been interested in big Hollywood flicks and I’ve only been in a few recently. I’ve always sensed a misogynist and sexist attitude, even in the 60′s and 70′s. Can I say that (1970 movie) Five Easy Pieces sucks? You need to be a feminist. It’s about equality and rights,” she said.
This attitude of Hollywood had often led her to think about quitting the film industry. “I can’t say no to an interesting role. I always tell my husband, ‘That’s it, I quit, I’ve done all I wanted’ and he’s just like, ‘Yeah, yeah. Sure.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts